A place for me to write down junk that I would not send to others in an email. I guess.

Friday, February 04, 2005

XTerra

Today I got two messages from you two (you know who you are) inquiring about the XTerra. I thought I would respond to both here since we are doing all this blogging stuff.

Cornfed said:


I heard that you have an Xterra and I was shopping for vehicles and was interested in one but there were some bad reviews online such as: poor acceleration, gas guzzler, hydroplaning, bad in mountains, and something about removing the rear seat cushions to fold seats down and the clips break. Is any of this true? Do you like your Xterra?


Most everything in that statement is true.


  1. poor acceleration - It's as nimble as an RV with a pack of Weight Watcher dropouts in the back.

  2. gas guzzler - It get's about 14-15 mpg. That's AWESOME when I drive 26 miles to work (one way).

  3. Hydroplaning - yup, done it.

  4. bad in mountains - It's been to Great Smoky Mountain National Park several times. This isn't as much of a deal considering #1.

  5. ...rear seat cushions... - yup. stinks.

  6. clips break - Well, haven't had that one yet.



The flip side is that it does a great job as an SUV. It can haul crap but still be a decent 'car'. Just like all my other cars, I have beat the hell out of it. I've had a few issues with it; I had to replace the transmission at about 100,000. I put a huge dent in the top of it (long story) a few months ago, but that is entirely my fault. However, I have no intention of ever fixing that. I already mentioned that it has gone to the mountains a bunch. It is PERFECT for hauling me in and out of campsites. It has cool stadium seating, it looks nice. It's a good SUV. Plus, despite the revolting fact that the frogs own Nissan, it was made right here in Smyrna, Tennessee.

My intent is to pay it off and then drive it until I can save up for a normal car. Then I'll keep it in the garage forever. Because of the mileage and the dent, I have no intent of ever selling it or trading it in. I wouldn't get enough value out of it to warrant parting with it. So, I literally intend on driving it until it falls apart.

I don't know anything about cars anymore, so I couldn't compare. My dad is about to get his ... fourth or fifth XTerra, if that tells you anything. I tend to compare the XTerra unfavorably to my mom's Grand Cherokee, but I am sure that thing is much more expensive than an XTerra.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home