A place for me to write down junk that I would not send to others in an email. I guess.

Monday, April 25, 2005

Songs of the Church You Kind Of Know The Words To



We are now home from the singles group retreat this past weekend. I think there is a consensus that it was a great success. GREAT JOB LESLIE AND JANEL!!! Personally, I feel spiritually challenged and significantly closer to the group after this weekend.

I think there is also a con census that one of the most enjoyable times of the weekend was the completely unplanned and unscripted "ole' time song service" on Saturday night. In between guffaw laughter, my mind kept matching the fun we were having to these following thoughts. Many of the songs we were singing were in fun, sprinkled with an appropriate portion of irreverence. These were the songs that I grew up with and remember as a kid in the Church of Christ. They conjured up memory of a stuffy church, but, I infer, a pretty typical C of C for the 80's and 90's. During some of the songs I actually felt a prick somewhere in the far back of my mind saying, "Whoa! You can't CLAP to that song!" Caroline had a pertainant comment at the end of her account (here)of these events. I agree with her assesment of that classic, "Jesus is Coming Soon". What a riot. Now, none of what I am saying is intended to be critical. In fact, I kept thinking just the opposite. I have spent my entire life in the Church of Christ, and church related activities have usually taken up most of my "free time" (i.e. not work time). The culture of the C of C is part of my personal wiring. Singing all those old songs the other night reminded me of how different a "mainstream" C of C is these days. While I appreciate the change, and I am ... proud (?) ... of the church for its growth, I appreciate our heritage. The thought occurred to me then that while we can all joke and be critical of our church history, I really appreciate it. I LOVE a good C of C joke, but at the same time those quirks and cultural nuances give us an identity. Saturday night was a great example. A room full of folks that, literally, grew up all over the country can sit in the dark in a room and sing the crustiest old songs for hours from memory. We even had the four part harmony some of the time. AND they didn't feel crusty, they felt familiar. It was fun to sing those old songs, though I can remember, as a kid, trudging through them for endless Sunday's. There's a double entendre there, "endless Sunday's" as in an uncountable number of them, and Sunday's that would never end. The difference this time around is that those old songs immediately reconnect me with the history of the C of C, as well as my own personal history, as well as to each of the other individuals in that room. We have a shared culture. I also got to thinking that while I appreciate other denominations, and it has been suggested to me innumerable times that it might be good to switch denominations and try something new, the C of C culture is so much a part of me and it is such a precious thing to share with others that I don't want to change. I couldn't switch to a Baptist church and be able to share all those years of history with them. That shared history and culture is very important. It is a huge part of being family.

7 Comments:

Blogger john alan turner said...

Well said, Dan. Saturday night was a highlight, and -- as is so often the case -- completely spontaneous. It was great to hear all those old songs (some with hand motions) sung with not bitterness attached. Thanks for being part of the great weekend.

8:11 AM

 
Blogger Daniel said...

SWEET!!! John, I have to say that you have had a profound affect on our group. I get a sense that the thoughts that you shared with us this weekend will not be relegated to the "forgotten bin" of our memories. It will be interesting to see what we do with it. I would also second a thought that was already shared with you. I especially appreciate how you got engaged with the group and allowed us to befriend you and your family. In fact, it makes the typical alternative of the speaker retreating to his room (or whatever) seem a bit ... disconnected, or maybe impersonal. I think your message stands on its own. You did great research, it was very consistent across the sessions, compelling, timely, but ultimately I think your personal interaction with us allowed us to build more of a connection with you and thus become more receptive to your message. Thanks a bunch!

10:16 AM

 
Blogger Tiffany said...

Yes, my lord. Well said, my lord. I agree, my lord.

:)

I think you hit the nail on the head. Janel and I were talking about it at some point on Sunday, and she said she wasn't sure future generations would sit around and sing "devo" songs. I told her I thought probably not, but that they would probably still all know the GSOTC songs.

11:02 AM

 
Blogger LB said...

I wasn't going to comment on this one, but considering I read it about 45 minutes ago and now can't get "Church in the Valley by the Wildwood" out of my head I feel I must...I hope that the generations to come don't miss out on the "devo" songs OR the GSOTC! Especially the latter. I have to admit that even though several of the songs were, let's go with pirate-y, I still about cried on a couple of them because memories of my grandparents' church in Fayette County kept pouring in. I loved that church. Those people couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, but they sang to the top of their lungs. Looking back, I wish I had appreciated those times more when I had them...but, hey, I'll always have those songs!!

3:32 PM

 
Blogger amanda said...

the spontaneous singing was great! i doubt future generations will be cool enough to sing hours of GSOTC songs. i'm amazed at the songs, not to mention all 5 verses in some cases, that we knew! although i usually don't get much out of my grandmother's church (other than sitting next to her on the 5th row), i have to say i'm a little disappointed at their attempt to be "mainstream" and include devo songs and an overhead projector/screen. that just kind of doesn't complement a church with an overwhelming majority of geriatrics!

7:55 PM

 
Blogger Caroline said...

Confession: In the song "All Hail the Power of Jesus Name," I still accidently sing "Let angels prostate fall" instead of "with prostrate fall." I didn't know what I was saying when I was younger and by the time I was older, it was too late. The habit was formed. I shall post this on my blog.

8:22 PM

 
Blogger amanda said...

ha! caroline, i have a phonetically challenged disability claimant that misspelled his own allegation...Prostrate cancer....!

6:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home