A place for me to write down junk that I would not send to others in an email. I guess.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Twin Towers II

model of Twin Towers II

Twin Towers model at MSNBC (David Shuster)

I casually clicked on this news article. When I saw the towers my heart leapt. When I read:


... for a brief moment today, we saw why so many people feel it is so important that newer, safer, stronger Twin Towers be built at Ground Zero.

I nearly got a shiver.

I have been semi-following the recent events surrounding the redevelopment of Ground Zero. From what I understand, construction was about to begin a few weeks ago when Governor Pataki brought the whole thing to a grinding halt and issued an order to "redesign". Whoa! At the time I figured that meant it would take longer then my natural lifetime to have anything there but two big holes in the ground. But right now, this very moment, I feel excitement that one day I will go back to NY and see two huge towers dominating the southern skyline of the city.

I am not a New Yorker. I have no real dog in this hunt. But I am an American who was, and still is, deeply touched by the events of September 11, 2001. A few weeks after the attack I watched Mayor Giuliani make a plea that he had enough volunteers, enough food and enough blood. What he really needed were tourists. A few weeks after that, I emptied out my bank account and got on a plane. I saw the twisted metal and the holes in the ground. I walked all around it. That's my only trip to New York thus far. However, I sympathize with New Yorkers that believe the only reasonable plan is to erect two new Twin Towers. Anything else is less. It is cowardice. It is letting those @#$@%# win. It is unacceptable. I agree wholeheartedly with Donald Trump who says about the Freedom Tower:


The last thing we need in New York is a skeleton representing the World Trade Center. I think it's not an appropriate design.


I didn't like the design of the Freedom Tower, but I figured that was the speech of someone who lives hundreds of miles away from New York. I thought, if New Yorker's (for the most part) like it than so be it. It's their city, after all. But if there is a wellspring of New Yorkers who support rebuilding the Twin Towers, I salute you, I stand by you, I THANK you and I will prove it by coming there and spending more money ... well, I'll do that anyway, but you know what I mean.

New Twin Towers would be a tribute to the victims. It is the ultimate example of American resiliency. It is also the second biggest insult to the bastards that toppled the first ones. Of course, forcing them to live in a treacherous mountain region and survive on a diet of their own cooked feces while hunting them like wild animals and killing them is the ultimate insult, but we're already working on that one.

6 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

I've never been to ground zero, actually, I've never really wanted to go, but I've heard about the eery silence around that one area in a city that thrives on noise and a fast-paced lifestyle. I can't help but wonder if there'll still be an eery silence when rebuilding begins??

10:46 AM

 
Blogger Daniel said...

I'll bet it will sound a lot like trucks rolling around and hammers banging.

1:21 PM

 
Blogger LB said...

and catcalls. don't forget the catcalls.

2:47 PM

 
Blogger amanda said...

I HEART NY!!

3:32 PM

 
Blogger Katie said...

September 11th was a tragic day that I'll never forget. I was working in the news department that day, and spent about 13 straight hours doing interviews and talking with those whose lives had been altered by the attacks, but thankfully spared. My dad travels back and forth to New York occasionally, and I am extremely grateful that he wasn't doing business there that day.

7:34 PM

 
Blogger The RAW Woodworker said...

I am Katie's best friend from High School, I saw this message and you are right on the money. I have been in the Air Force for a little over 7 years, and where I work I know more than I wish to about all those SOBs. Be glad you all don't know all the story, it still breaks my heart. Two new towers would be one big middle finger to the terrorists. I hope everyone will just stop trying to apease people and do the right thing!

3:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home