A place for me to write down junk that I would not send to others in an email. I guess.

Thursday, May 26, 2005

attitude

Do you think it matters a great deal when a developer is proud of what he creates? I do. Imagine, if you will, two developers who build exactly the same app (exactly the same code). They have exactly the same environment, manager, support structure, pay, home life, etc. etc. They are both exactly at the same level of competence and both understand the application to exactly the same depth. One truly believes that he wrote a compelling product. That it was well architected and is a very high quality reflection on his own abilities. The other thinks it is crap. He thinks the architecture is overcomplicated or too simple. He thinks the code is garbage. Now give these guys a year or two to support the app. I would imagine that the "happy" developer will be supporting a shiny, tip-top application whereas the "unhappy" developer will have an app with bugs introduced over that year. I even think he will understand less and less about it. I think attitude is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I imagine that this applies to most other professions as well.

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I totally agree. I would rather do work that I can pour myself into, and be proud of..than do work that is done half-heartedly and be unsuccessful.

"And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy.
For if you bake bread with indifference, you bake a bitter bread that feeds but half man's hunger.
And if you grudge the crushing of the grapes, your grudge distils a poison in the wine."
-Kahlil Gibran

9:07 PM

 
Blogger amanda said...

i, too, agree. in the past 2 weeks here my attitude has changed from less than motivated and my job doesn't matter to priority changes and hard-working. i'm getting more accomplished and seeing positive results.

10:51 AM

 
Blogger Daniel said...

You know what? I haven't worked with you since we were sixteen. But even then the words you just said were true about you. You have been a hard worker for as long as I've known you. I've known you for over half my life and I can't remember a day when you didn't have at least one job. I think Dave gets all this credit for being a workaholic. I think he deserves it because of all the negative connotations that go with it. I think 'stressaholic' is a better descriptor of him. You, on the other hand, are a workaholic of a different sort. You are the kind upon whom the word 'lazy' cannot be applied. When responsibility has raised itself up to try to frighten you, you have never, ever let it get the best of you. You have always stared it down and come out ahead.

I am damn proud of you. That's why, no matter how freakin' oooold we get, you and Dave are still one year older and 'more mature'. The fifteen year old in me, with his mullet and pleather jacket is still sitting in the back of the Megaboo looking forward at the back of your mullet-clad heads thinking, "Whoa! Sophomores! I'm hanging out with the big kids."

Speaking of hanging out with the big kids. See you in a few days.

9:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home