A place for me to write down junk that I would not send to others in an email. I guess.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

It's friggin' hot here.

It's ridiculous in Nashville these days. It's in the 80's and the humidity is enough to choke a horse. Sunday I ran three miles outside and it felt like 50. No joke, I lost 2 pounds (of sweat) from the time I went outside to the time I came in. I ran inside on a treadmill today.

Tonight I stopped by the townhouse on the way home from church to check on progress. None. I was roaming around when I heard this hissing sound. Turns out I got a nail in a tire. That's probably going to keep happening. So I raced home (1.5 miles, nice) and changed clothes so I could put on the spare. This is a side note, but the spare shouldn't be a spare, it should be a fifth wheel that gets rotated in and out with the rest of them. Nope. I must have neglected that the last three times I got new tires because I don't even remember ever getting BFGoodrich tires for this vehicle, ever. But I digress. This simple process, in the dark, rendered me profusely sweaty. As in, my hair and shirt were soaked. I had to go inside and take a complete shower.

Vegas isn't this way. I agree with folks who say, "It's a dry heat." I LOVE it out there. 115 degrees with zero humidity is wonderful. I can walk from one end of the strip to the other, or traverse a dessert all day, the whole while feeling perfectly comfortable. The Nashville Rainforest, however, is miserable. What's Kansas City like?

7 Comments:

Blogger LB said...

Oh my word...I don't even want to hear it. I went to school in Tuscaloosa, or, as I call it, the armpit of hell. I remember going to Wal-Mart one particularly sultry evening, getting in the car, and seeing that the thermometer had it at 111 degrees. Did I mention it was midnight? The second you'd step out of the house, you were wet. I lived 5 years with constant sheen...

4:55 AM

 
Blogger Katie said...

Nashville is TOO hot! I've never been to Colorado, but I imagine it's lovely...hopefully I'll make it there some day. Unless I melt first.

3:19 PM

 
Blogger Al said...

Ok, I trump all of you. JacksonHell, FL. I often thought there should be showers at the office buildings because there's no use getting cleaned up and prettied up to walk outside at 7 in the morning and be literally dripping with sweat by the time you lock your door and get to your car. Forget about putting gas in your car in the morning...that's a nighttime activity - as is pretty much any other activity that requires you being outside.

3:38 PM

 
Blogger CHADDDD said...

Take 100 or so square miles of God-forsaken southeast Texas tropical swampland. Pave over it completely. Add 4 million people. Throw in 2 million cars and several dozen oil refineries and chemical plants to totally muck up the air. Have summer last from April until October. This, my friends, is hot humid hell on earth. Otherwise known as Houston.

4:38 PM

 
Blogger LB said...

Let's all pack up and move to Alaska.

4:52 PM

 
Blogger amanda said...

it's entirely too hot when even the swimming pool feels like a bath!
Maybe i should consider a lucrative career in A/C maintenance and repair?!?!

6:02 PM

 
Blogger Tiffany said...

My Contracts professor lived in Switzerland for a few years, working on the Holocaust survivors' case against the Swiss government. Both of his kids were born there. When they moved back to Texas, after they got out of the airport and were walking to a car, his older son reportedly said, "Dad, this place is on fire!"

I went to Houston for a wedding exactly three years ago today, and I have to agree with him. Yuck!! At least we do get the occasional respite here, and we do have lots of trees and shade.

7:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home